THE LEGEND

On top of a mountain in Jermuk, you can spot a majestic statue of a deer, looking over the landscape. It’s a spectacular view, especially at sunset. The story behind the statue is basically a legend regarding the, once fully populated by deer, region of Jermuk and the healing powers of the Jermuk spring.

ACCORDING TO LOCAL LEGEND

A hunter once shot and wounded a deer while hunting in Jermuk. However, the arrow did not fatally wound the animal and it managed to run away. The hunter followed the wounded deer and watched it jump into a lake filled with the mineral spring water of Jermuk.

A few moments later the deer emerged from the lake. Having no traces left of the wound inflicted on it by the hunter, it made a successful escape. Thus the locals discovered the healing powers of Jermuk spring waters.

THE HISTORY

Jermuk occupies an area which is historically considered as part of the Vayots Dzor canton of the Syunik province of Greater Armenia. It was first mentioned during the 13th century by historian Stepanos Orbelian in his work History of the Province of Sisakan. The remains of an ancient cyclopean fortress and the ruins of an 8th-century basilica testify that the region around the fountains of Jermuk has been settled long before the 13th century.

THE AREA OF JERMUK

The area of Jermuk has been ruled by the Siunia dynasty between the 10th and 13th centuries, when Vayots Dzor was part of the Kingdom of Syunik. The princes of Syunik regarded the mineral springs of Jermuk as healing and built several pools filled with it, thereby making the little town their holiday destination.

During the 1830s, the Russian geologist G. Voskoboynikov arrived in Armenia and began explorations on Jermuk’s geographical depth as well as the contents and characteristics of Jermuk waters. His observations on Jermuk were published in the “Mountain Magazine” journal in 1831, and later in 1855, in the “Caucasian Calenda” magazine. Voskoboynikov’s works were the first scientific talks on Jermuk.

The first sanatorium was opened in 1962, followed by the second one in 1963 and the mineral water spa centre in 1966, thus setting for the fertile activity of the Jermuk health resort centre, in order to turn Jermuk into a modern resort for all Soviet nationals.

 

Many new hotels and health centres were opened later, many sanatoriums were rehabilitated, and the first phase of the cableway for the ski resort was entirely renovated.

 

OUR WATER

Armenia is a land of legends, ancient monasteries, rich in culture and exceptional mineral waters.

THE RESORT TOWN OF JERMUK

Jermuk lies at 2080 metres above sea level on a platau in the Zanezur mountains in the province of Vayots Dzor. The Arpa river originates from the mountains and divides the town into two equal parts. The air of Jermuk is absolutely clean and filled with the sweet smell of flowers and herbs in summer. The climate of the town is typically mountainous.

The first historical chronicles about Jermuk mineral water date back to 189 BC, to the time of the construction of the Jermuk fortress.
 
The properties of the mineral water has been known since the earliest ages and the evidence can be seen in the stone baths, built near the natural springs, one of which exists, until today, as a historical monument.

Contact Us

We would love to know when and why you drink Jermuk.

Phone us on +27(0) 78 925 0345

or email sales@jermuk.co.za

Enquiry Form

BOTTLED IN JERMUK

Armenia from Source IV-K

BY JERMUK GROUP CISC

Republic of Armenia

3701, Jermuk

1 Gortsaranayin str.

Contact us

+27(0) 12 362 1553

sales@jermuk.co.za

info@jermuk.co.za

office Hours

M-F: 9am – 5pm

Saturdays: Closed

Sundays: Closed

Public Holidays: Closed